Transfer Students

Benedictine College has a lot to offer transfer students.

Dynamic Community. In national surveys, Benedictine outperforms peers in campus life. About 60% of graduates hold a formal leadership role, compared to 36% at other Catholic colleges. Students meet lifelong friends who support their values.

Thriving Faith Life. The campus offers four daily Masses, confession seven days a week and Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. A third of our students participate in mission trips including 14 countries on 4 continents.

Inspiring scholarship. In our 49 majors, Benedictine College students are far more likely to work directly with a faculty member and complete a senior project than students at peer schools. Dozens of our faculty rank in the top 10% of the national IDEA faculty evaluations yearly. 65% of our students gain field experience or an internship — much higher than our peers.

Application and Admission

Each step is outlined on the Transfer Admission Process page.

You must meet the minimum grade point average of 2.0 of college-level credit to be considered for full-time admission.

Yes, we need official transcripts from every school you have attended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for admission purposes. Faxed or emailed transcripts are considered unofficial.

If you have 24 or more college-level credits, you do not need to submit your ACT/SAT score or high school transcript. If you have less than 24 college-level credits, we require you to submit your official score report on the ACT or SAT, and a complete official high school transcript with date of graduation.

As soon as you begin thinking about Benedictine College.

We review transfer application on a rolling basis. Most applicants will have an admission decision made within two weeks of their application being completed.

Yes, once admitted to Benedictine, the Office of Academic Records will evaluate your transcript and this preliminary evaluation will be emailed to you typically within 7-10 days.

Let us know you are planning to attend Benedictine by submitting your $300 Enrollment Fee and Housing Application. We require both items to secure your placement for Class Registration. The enrollment fee may be paid online with a major credit card or by contacting your Admission Counselor. The Campus Housing Application may be submitted online; the Commuter Application can be mailed to Benedictine College, Admission Office, 1020 N 2nd St, Atchison, KS 66002.

After submitting your fee and housing application, the Office of the Registrar will assign your academic advisor. When registration opens, your advisor will contact you and enroll you in classes.

Your assigned Admission Counselor is determined by your home address.

Find your Counselor

Financial Aid

Want to estimate your available financial aid as a transfer student? Use the financial aid calculator!

Transfer Merit Scholarship

This Scholarship is based on your cumulative college grade point average:


Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship

A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to members of Phi Theta Kappa. This scholarship is in addition to the Transfer Merit Scholarship. A minimum of 24 credits is required. Upon receipt of the Phi Theta Kappa Certificate, this scholarship will be added to your Financial Aid package. Part-time students and students with previous bachelors’ degrees are not eligible.

National Evangelization Team (NET Ministries) Scholarships

A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to members of NET Ministries

If enrolling for the fall semester, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1 to be considered for institutional, state, or federal financial aid including work study.

If you plan to enroll for the spring semester, you should submit the FAFSA as soon as possible.

The FAFSA Federal Code is 010256.

Transfer Credit

Benedictine College makes every effort to facilitate your entry into our educational programs. You can find out what classes will transfer to Benedictine at TransferologyThe following guidelines will assist you in transferring credits from another institution to Benedictine College to satisfy degree program requirements.

  • If you are presenting less than four semesters of college-level work, the Registrar will need to review your courses to determine the number of hours that will transfer and your class standing.
  • If you have fewer than 24 credits, you are required to submit an official report of scores earned on the ACT or SAT; and a complete official high school transcript.
  • A maximum of 64 semester credits will be accepted in transfer from two-year institutions. The final two semesters (30 credit hours) must be completed at Benedictine College.
  • If you are presenting 60 or more hours of approved credit and/or an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, you will be granted junior status with the understanding that:
    • Grades earned at other institutions will not be computed into your grade point average.
    • In your first two semesters at Benedictine, you will be subject to the academic standing rules for freshmen; subsequently, you will be subject to the requirements for upperclassmen.  In order to graduate, you must meet the graduation requirements of a 2.0 GPA (both overall and in your major) regardless of when you transfer to Benedictine College.
    • A minimum of twenty-eight hours of general education is required. (See the General Education section in the Course Catalog for details.)
    • Thirty hours of upper-division credit are required for graduation.
    • HOWEVER, beginning freshmen who matriculate first to Benedictine College after high school graduation, even if they have an associate’s degree or transfer in 60 or more hours, are responsible for completing the entire general education program.
  • Students transferring from unaccredited institutions are subject to review by the Registrar to determine the number of hours transferred and class standing.

Only courses comparable to those offered at Benedictine College will be accepted for transfer.  All such courses must have a grade of 'C-' or better and meet the guidelines of credit.

Contact your Admission Counselor for a current list of approved courses.

An attempt will be made to determine course equivalencies of specific Benedictine requirements.  If equivalencies cannot be made, course work will generally be accepted as elective credit.

Request to transfer courses from institutions that are not regionally accredited will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.  You will need to be prepared to provide course description, course syllabi, information about the instructor’s qualifications, and possible other information.

Pre-college level courses which are developmental, remedial, or preparatory are not transferable.

Vocational Technical courses are generally not transferable. Exceptions may be made by individual departments if the course work is pertinent to your major.


Campus housing for upperclass women include these residence halls:

Campus housing for upperclassmen include these residence halls:

There is no campus housing for married couples.

Not necessarily. If you meet one of the qualifications for Commuter Status, you may complete the online Housing Application as a commuter.

  • Non–Traditional Student. (Verification from the Registrar’s Office.)
  • Age 23 or older on or before August 26, 2017
  • Live with parents or a legal guardian in the Atchison community (30 mile radius)
  • Married
  • Member of a religious order
  • Full-time Employee of the College
  • Dependent child or children
  • Fifth year senior social class standing
  • Studying abroad in a College recognized program. Commuter status is recognized for the duration of the program
  • Have lived in the Atchison area and were not enrolled in the college for at least one year
  • Student teachers only: Student teachers who receive a placement with a distance of at least 50 miles from campus
  • Transfer students only: Lived off-campus on your own at your previous college or university for at least one year. Living at home with parents or relatives does not qualify
  • Mail any supporting documents to:

    Benedictine College
    Student Life Office
    1020 N 2ndSt
    Atchison, KS 66002


Any student who has been absent from Benedictine College must contact the Office of the Associate Dean of the College to seek readmittance. The student will need to:

  1. Complete the form to update his or her personal information and academic plans. The fee is not required for readmission applications.
  2. Submit official transcripts of any coursework completed at another college.
  3. Students readmitted to the college who have attended other colleges or universities must meet satisfactory academic progress requirements as described under the Transfer Admission section of the General Admission Policies in the Course Catalog.

If the student is readmitted, he or she will be requested to submit an enrollment and housing deposit as appropriate. This will be necessary only if the applicant’s original deposit was refunded when he or she withdrew.


Benedictine College is a proud supporter of our military men and women for their dedication and sacrifice. Benedictine actively participates in the acceptance of VA benefits that will assist in the progression toward your degree completion. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further assistance at 913-360-7485.

Benedictine College Yellow Ribbon Program

Multiple Undergraduate Degrees

Anyone who has earned a bachelor’s degree may enroll in Benedictine College to pursue an additional undergraduate degree. However, you may not pursue the same degree with the same major(s) as previously earned. You are required to earn a minimum of 30 new hours in residence even if fewer hours are needed to complete your new major. (None of these 30 hours can be transferred from other colleges or universities, earned by CLEP, or through experiential learning. This is consistent with Benedictine College’s policy that the last 30 hours must be earned in residence.)

Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree from another institution will also need to complete the same general education requirements as do all students who transfer to Benedictine College with 60 or more hours.

Your cumulative GPA from all courses taken after graduation will be calculated separately since your GPA is “frozen” at the time of graduation. Latin honors are only awarded for your first bachelor’s degree.

Institutional scholarships are not available to students seeking a second degree. You may not receive any gift aid (e.g. Pell grants). You can make use of federal loan programs only if you are degree-seeking with a realistic anticipated degree date.